Friday, September 18, 2009

Chemistry

I have never been very fond of chemistry. Chemistry almost drove me away from majoring in biology because I would have to take it. In high school, I took AP Chemistry and Chemistry Honors. I made good grades in both but I did not pass my AP exam due to a terrible teacher. Mr. Freilich, on the other hand, is a very good teacher so far. Unfortunately though, he is not able to cover and "teach" everything he needs/wants to in the given time we are in class. Students, like myself, need more one on one teaching. Mr. Freilich told us if we need extra help to go to the student center where there are tutors for chemistry. Honestly, I know more about chemistry than they do. I went in there with more knowledge than I came out with. The U of M needs to hire new tutors. Maybe, I caught that person on a bad day. Regardless, these tutors are being paid to help so they need to find a way to assist us students

3 comments:

  1. I also think that he is a good teacher and that we do need a little more time with someone who knows what they are talking about. I have not been to the help center yet so I can't comment on that but if that is the case then they really need to get better tutors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chemistry help center is full of graduate students who haven't taken the chemistry we are taking in at least three years. If they want to be tutors they should keep up with their studies and know that really learning something means you always know it. Clearly if these graduate students don't remember it then we do not even to know it. This is stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter I agree with you 100%. My recitation teacher does not know anything. I'm the type of student that asks a lot of questions and he could not answer any of them.

    ReplyDelete