Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Works In Progress 1

Earlier today, I attended Jessica Volyes presentation on "Does Prosody Facilitate Retention in High and Low Knowledge Comprehenders?" She is a senior psychology major and her field of research is prosody. Prosody is the lexical rhythm of conversation. Prosody helps to eliminate a monotonous voice and to express emotional cues. Prosody is important because it allows the listener to identify sentence structure and plays an essential semantic role. Jessica said "when speaking do not be lengthy get straight to the point." Prosody helps with this, it helps to find the point and trigger memory during discourse. Prosody pertains to verbal memory. Pitch (prosody) is more essential in mental representation at the sentential level than at word level. It also increases recognition rates and removes deafness effects during monotonous voice. Prosody is similar to cohesion. Cohesion is the extent that the reader can relate one idea to the next as it flows. Highly cohesive texts help low knowledge individuals. Low cohesive do not have a detrimental effect on comprehension of high knowledge individuals. Jessica's hypothesis is that prosodic cues will have a negative effect on comprehension of low knowledge not high knowledge.

Jessica communicated her information very well because I was able to fully understand her presentation ,even though, prior to the speech I did not know anything about prosody. I thought it was quite ironic how her presentation was about prosody and she used prosody to clearly get her point across.

Prosody is a good method that I could use in the future when writing my paper. Prosody will help me with sentence structure and eliminate boredom for the reader. The use of prosody will help me to use emotional expressions to get my point across. Overall, it was a good experience and will hopefully help me with my paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment